Mix 1/4 cup Golden Turmeric into a vegetarian masa mix and transform the dull, pale yellow color of masa into MAGIC! The sun will shine, there will be tamales, and we even have a simple, yet incredibly flavorful ranchero sauce to pair these with! Double or quadruple the recipe and make tamales to store in the freezer for your next fiesta!
ingredients for GOLDEN MASA:
4 cups masa harina
2 2/3 cup water
1 1/3 cups butter, melted
1/4 cup Golden Turmeric
2 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1. Mix masa with Golden Turmeric, baking powder and salt.
2. Add water and mix thoroughly.
3. Add butter (wear gloves!) and mix until masa becomes smooth "batter". Form into a dough ball and.....
TO MAKE BLACK BEAN- SHIITAKE-ROASTED GARLIC SWEET POTATO TAMALES:
--10 sweet potatoes, cut into cubes
(toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and ROAST at 400 F until perfectly roasted. ~40 minutes)
--a few cloves garlic
(sautee in butter or oil with onions and garlic for ~10-15 minutes)
---4 heads garlic
(ROAST! Cut the bottom 1/4" off all of the cloves. Keep them together! Rub the bottom with a generous amount of olive oil. Cover individually in aluminum foil. Roast while you have the sweet potatoes going for ~45 minutes-1 hour. Should be aromatic and pop out of the skins like butter!)
2-3 cups black beans, cooked and mixed with:
SAUTEED: 1 onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 T annatto, 1 T cumin, 1 tsp. oregano, 1 jar/can tomatoes
EEEEEASY RANCHERO SAUCE:
2 jars/cans tomatoes
1/2 cup dried chili peppers (or fresh! vary amount to your spice tolerance)
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp: annatto, oregano, cumin
1. Sautee onion in a skillet with oil or butter until translucent. Add garlic.
2. Add chili peppers and spices. Mix well….
3. Add tomatoes.
4. With an immersion blender, blend into a sauce! Salt to taste. Reduce to your liking. You can add more peppers, too…… ;)
ASSEMBLE TAMALES AND SPREAD THE LOVE!!