These "meaty" morsels are delicious atop a throne of pasta, in a "meat"ball sub, as snacks dipped in marinara sauce AND double as falafel, since they are loaded with parsley and pair perfectly with tzatziki sauce! We used Lion's Mane Mushrooms that we picked up from our local Farmers' Market, but, if you can't find Lion's Mane, you can replace it with shiitake, oyster mushrooms, buttons, creminis, baby portabellos, etc. The key to deliciousness is to cook the water out of the mushrooms by dry sautéing them in a hot skillet and THEN adding butter and garlic and reducing with white wine. Helloooo, YUM!
1 lb. mushrooms (we used Lion's Mane)
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup breadcrumbs (we made our own with whole wheat sourdough)
1 cup rolled oats (pulsed into a flour)
1/2 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
3/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1 T Italian Seasoning (oregano, thyme)
2 T Hemp Seeds or 100% Hempspread
sea salt and pepper, to taste
(optional) Pasta, Garlic Scapes, Sugar Snap Peas, Parmesan
1. In a hot skillet, dry sautee mushrooms.
2. When the moisture has reduced, add a big knob of butter (or olive oil), garlic, onions, spices and cook for 10-15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let them cool down.
3. In a bowl, mix all ingredients. Form a "dough". Refrigerate overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F.
5. Form into balls and cook in oven for 30 minutes. Taste!
6. IT'S A MEATBALL! Add to pasta, subs, salads, pita bread..SPREAD THE LOVE!