WOW! I will never make Gnocchi sans almonds ever again! I love this wholesome potato dumpling paired with whole wheat flour, as it enhances the nuttiness and density of the lil nuggets! If you leave a LITTLE chunk while grinding the almonds into a fine flour...it is a nice variation of texture. Super easy to make...freeze well...a taste of Italia!
2 pounds potatoes, boiled and milled in a ricer or (without peel) mashed
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. salt
1. Boil potatoes, let cool. Mash with ricer into a large bowl.
2. Add almond flour, salt, and egg yolk. Mix with hands.
3. Add whole wheat flour a little bit at a time, until the mixture is no longer sticky (may take more than 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour). Knead, knead, knead until a big doughy-not-sticky-ball is formed.
4. Once the consistency is right, cover workspace with a light dusting of flour, and roll out a little bit of the dough at a time, making 1 cm thick "snakes".
5. Cut snakes at an angle into uniform "pillows".
6. Press each pillow with a fork.
7. To cook, boil water with a pinch of salt, drop in a serving of gnocchi at a time, and, with a slotted spoon, remove from water once they float.
8. Cover with sauce! Or simplify: a little extra virgin olive oil, coconut butter or oil, butter...and.. some fresh chives from the garden! SHARE THE LOOOOOVE!